Here are some great tool tips for your Flatiron:
- No need to crank your heat higher than 410 degrees. Any hotter and you will do more damage than good.
- Use a thermal protector or other products meant to protect hair, such as Bumble’s Hairdressers Invisible Oil Primer, which is a blend of six featherlight oils helps soften, silken, tame, de-frizz, detangle, and protect against breakage and – without weighing hair down.
- Prep hair as much as possible before ironing: Use a brush to create sections that have been blown dry as straight as possible.
- Move your iron in a slow but steady pass – stopping leaves marks.
- If you hear sizzling or see steam, STOP. This means damage and possible breakage.
- Bigger irons make it harder to get to the hairline where curls can be tough to reach. Use one with an inch wide barrel with ceramic or tourmaline plates.
- You don’t always have to go pin straight – instead you can move your arm in a “c” shape as you proceed down the hair, and bend the ends under. You can also use your iron to make beach waves.